Oakland Care and the General Data Protection Regulations
The General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) are now replacing the 1998 Data Protection Act, and this EU regulation requires companies to be even more clear about how they obtain and use personal data. Oakland Care embraces this change.
This Fair Processing Notice describes the categories of personal data we process, the legal basis on which we do this, and for what purpose.
In this document, ‘Oakland Care’ refers to all care businesses managed at our Head Office at IG2 7JY, and include (but are not limited to) Woodland Grove Care Home, Hastings Court Care Home, and Beechwood Grove Care Home.
‘We’ or ‘Us’ below refers to ‘Oakland Care’, and ‘You’ refers to our Enquirers. The Enquirer may be the potential resident themselves, or a family member or friend enquiring on their behalf.
What personal information do we collect?
We collect and process a range of information about you. This includes:
• your name, address and contact details, including email address and telephone number, date of birth and gender;
• the terms and conditions of your potential contract with us;
• information about your marital status, next of kin, dependants and emergency contacts;
• information about your nationality and entitlement to live in the UK;
• details of your day to day living habits, including appointments, social preferences, likes and dislikes;
• assessments and ongoing treatment requirements for any medical and health conditions, including both physical and mental health;
• social or cultural preferences or characteristics including information about your ethnic origin, sexual orientation, health and religion or belief;
• your financial situation including funding sources for your potential contract with us.
We assume you are ok with this, as you have approached us and given us your details in order for us to process your enquiry.
How do we obtain your personal information?
We may obtain your personal information either through an initial enquiry about our services made by you or someone on your behalf, through direct contact with you or your representatives during the course of assessment or tours of the home, or from a third party such as the NHS or other health service that we would liaise with to compile the information we need to provide you with our service.
What are the legal grounds for us processing your personal information?
• Oakland Care needs to process data to prepare to enter into a service contract with you and to meet its obligations under this future service contract. Some personal data we hold is ‘special category data’, such as information about health or medical conditions. This special category data is also processed on the basis that we need to do so in order to fulfil our contract with you.
• Oakland Care also has a legitimate interest in processing personal data before, during and after the end of the enquiry relationship. Processing this data allows Oakland Care to:
o Contact you regarding the progress of your enquiry or to keep you informed of services at our Home that may be of interest to you;
o maintain accurate and up-to-date records and contract details;
o ensure effective general operations management and business administration;
o respond to and defend against legal claims.
Where do we store this information?
We store your information on a database program accessed by our administration teams, and in some cases in emails or attachments if sent as part of the correspondence for your enquiry. We have paper records of enquiry forms and assessment records will be on paper or on the database systems.
In order to access the information ourselves or provide details to statutory authorities, we keep information for 18 months after you the date of your initial enquiry.
Who do we share this information with?
Your information will be shared internally, including with members of the operations and finance team, managers and administrators, and IT staff if access to the data is necessary for performance of their roles.
We may discuss your admission with external health care providers such as the NHS of you have come from a hospital stay or similar.
Oakland Care will not transfer your data to countries outside the European Economic Area.
As consumers, you have the right to be told the detail of the data we hold about you, and the basis on which we store and use this.
You have the right to access this data, and the right for any errors to be rectified.
In some cases you have the right to erasure of the data or to object to us sharing it.
If your personal information changes at any time please let us know so that we can update our records. You can let us know directly at the Care Home or by writing to our Privacy Officer at the Head Office address below.
If you have any questions regarding this Fair Processing Notice, wish to contact our Privacy Officer, or wish to exercise any of your rights under GDPR, please contact us at the address below.
Oakland Care LTD
London IG2 7JY
Tel: 0208 5183675
We do hope we can always assist you to exercise your rights and give you any information you request, and have the right to receive. However If you ever feel you need to pursue a data privacy complaint further, you can contact the Information Commissioners office at ico.co.uk/contact-us.